expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Math Book Linky

Well, I headed over to Amanda's page at One Teacher's Take and was reading about her knee surgery as well as some math book recommendations when I saw a blog hop.  I quickly jumped on the bandwagon (I am still new to this blog hopping thing) and then I realized the blog hop was for writing about your favorite math book:

This is a linky party from Diana at the Math Coach's Corner.  Anyway, when I started thinking about it, I could not pinpoint one math book that was the best I ever read.  I absolutely LOVE math and taught 6th grade math (we were departmentalized) for 8 years before going to 4th grade.  I always loved math in school and I share that passion with my students using various resources pulled from everywhere.  Since I couldn't think of one particular "book" that blew my mind, I started thinking about resources I love to use.  One resource that always stood out was Hands-On-Equations.  


No, that is not me in the picture.  It is the creator of Hands-On-Equations, Dr. Borenson.  Here is a nice blog link to a description of the program:

I used this with my 6th graders when learning how to solve equations and it was amazing!!  They really got a grasp of what solving equations means and it was wonderful for the students who thrived when using manipulatives.  With the way the curriculum is headed, I am sure 4th graders will be solving multi-step equations too.  Actually, some of the test samplers for next year could be solved with a two-step equation and students are expected to use variables.  Bring it on!  
  

2 comments:

  1. I'm a fourth grade teacher and new blogger, so I was so excited to find your blog! I love your layout and the whole "flipping" concept. I will continue to follow you for some great ideas! : )

    - Sarah
    writeonfourthgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many states in the country offer GED preparation classes for free in a classroom setting. These classes might require you to pay for books and other materials, though. Free online preparatory courses are also available. Some states even provide links to other support services available in the examinee’s location. A study guide for GED is provided by both online and classroom set-ups. Which choice is up to you and it depends on whether you have self-discipline or not.

    best ged books

    ReplyDelete