expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, February 22, 2013

Five for Friday...the longest shortest week!


This was the longest shortest week!  
I am finding it difficult to come up with five notable happenings to blog about for Doodle Bugs Teaching Five For Friday linky but I will give it a go:)  
Read at your own risk...notable?  not so much.
Although...I can't resist!  
It is wonderful reading what everyone else has been up to and 
reading comments from you guys! (a little New Yorker accent there). 
1.  Natural Disasters Projects:  My students began working on a "Natural Disaster" project at the end of last week and were assigned writing the rough draft for the essay on Tuesday night for homework.  They are working in pairs on this project and the room has been a buzz of excitement!  They have to write a 5 paragraph essay (intro., 3 body paragraphs, and a conclusion) and have a visual aid.  

Many students went home over the weekend and worked hard on their project.  I can't wait to see the presentations next week and I am so proud that they have worked with their partners so well.  It is a great way to also get some much needed practice reading informational text since the Common Core emphasizes a 50/50 split for fiction and nonfiction reading.  I know they have been introduced to a lot of new vocabulary while working on the project.  

I tried importing the directions and rubric I made for the project, but of course it didn't turn out the right way.  If you would like a copy of these, write a comment with your email and I will send them to you.  If there is a lot of interest, I may upload this on TPT.  This has been revamped with 10 pages total for the project and is uploaded on TP here
Check back next week and I will blog about some of the presentations with pictures of the final products:)

2.  MOST Unexpected Snow Day on Wednesday!  
There was no school on Monday (President's Day), back to school on Tuesday and then a phone call at 5:45 am Wednesday morning.  
The forecast called for 2-4" overnight (which is nothing!). 
Well, the weatherman had it wrong again....
My district got over a foot overnight and with the 50 mph winds at just the right time, it was that magical combination!  Wahoo!!

3.  Stayed home sick Thursday!  I told you it was the longest shortest week ever, right?  
My husband and I both started to feel sick on the snow day (he had to work though!).  I laid down during the kids' naps (loved spending extra time with them:).
I did not get up the entire nap time!  Body aches, feverish, dizziness, and no appetite.
Well, I was bound and determined to get back to work on Thursday.
I just had a snow day, right?
Got up at 5:20...took my shower, and I was exhausted!
My temperature was 101.5 and there was no way I could make it...

4.  Several students were quite naughty for the sub!
with a pile of papers waiting from being out one day sick...
some naughtiness to attend to...
summaries on a nonfiction piece written that didn't even make sense by my top writers...
today was quite exhausting!
I mean some of those summaries were like they did not even read the story and there were run-ons, incomplete sentences, and some incoherent writing!  I am telling myself that it is because there was a sub but I am not so sure...starting to panic a little.  Our state test is mid-April but we have a 2 week spring break before it....FOUR weeks of school left until spring break...yikes!

5.  Added to Danielson APPR binder organizers:  With the little bit of down time I had resting Wednesday and Thursday, I was [slightly] productive.  I updated the APPR binder organizers that follow the Danielson rubric for teacher evaluations on TPT.  Included now are checklists for each domain and examples of four artifacts that can be used.  

I am actually looking forward to a five day {slightly normal} week next week!  I think the five day weeks are easier somehow.  Anyone with me on that?  
Have a great weekend:)

11 comments:

  1. My goodness, you really did have a short week! Hope you're feeling better!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete
  2. The full weeks are definitely more routine. We ended up with a snow day today, so that will put a hitch in my plans next week.

    Hope you're feeling better!

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it crazy how teachers work even when they're sick? And, you're right as much as I like a 3 day weekend, the 4 day school week seems rushed and a little crazy! Glad you're feeling better!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you got sick:/ That's a bummer:/ I had a longgg/short week too. LOL! I'm afraid next week will be even longer. Love the non-fiction essay ideas:) My vote is a TPT upload:)
    Have a great weekend:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a week! I love the project idea...we haven't done anything like that- but will try to after state testing...which sounds like we have it the same week you do (booooooooooooooooooo).

    I'm a little panicky about testing as well. I made a list last night of everything I still had to teach in math and it's 3 pages long. 3 PAGES LONG. Panic...has...set...in. But, we can only do what we can do, right? (I still feel really bad about it, even when I tell myself that).

    I'm so SORRY you have been sick! Yuck! And it's so hard, being a teacher and a mom because it's so hard to rest to try to get better! I hope your little ones aren't sick next!

    Have a restful weekend!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    (and aren't they all naughty for a sub? I had a 2 hour meeting Friday morning and walked in and there was a PARTY going on in my room with the sub. As soon as she walked out I had to take control. Insanity. It's so hard to be out.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love a copy of your rubric and instructions for the natural disaster project. I am a first year fourth grade teacher, and I love new ideas! gabby.fithian@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love a copy. I hope you and our husband are feeling much better. Have a great week.
    Micha
    mrucka@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that sounds like quite a week! Hope you are feeling better! And those natural disaster projects sound so neat! I can't wait to see pics of them!!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the project idea, if you don't mind sharing I would love to have a copy. Noel67@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the project idea!

    Julia.Guyton@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete