expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tried It Tuesday {Folktales}

I just love reading all the ideas bloggers link up each week on Tried It Tuesday! There's a little something for everyone and you are bound to find something that you just have to pin for later! Thank you for stopping by to link up or just read all the ideas. :)
Now, it's already time for another Tried It Tuesday! :)
What have you tried recently at school or home?
My Tried It:
Folktales
I love teaching various genres of literature and one of the most rewarding units I cover is folktales because my 4th graders know so little about the topic when we start.  I use many of the handouts from Rachel Lynette's Folktales Subgenres: Handouts and Worksheets pack.
From her pack description:
What exactly is the diffence between a myth and a legend? Find out with these worksheets and handouts. This resource clearly defines the five most common folktale subgenres: fables, fairytales, tall tales, legends, and myths and gives students opportunities to apply what they have learned. 

This download includes the following 6 handouts and worksheets:

-Folktale Overview (handout)
-Folktale Subgenre Chart (handout)
-Folktale Subgenre Chart (worksheet)
-Folktale Multiple Choice Quiz
-Folktales I Know (worksheet)
-Folktale Reflection (worksheet)

I use the Folktale Overview handout and have students glue a copy in their notebooks for future reference (I forgot to take a picture but will add one later).
Last week, we completed the "Folktale Reflection" from her pack and I assigned students a partner and one folktale to read from various books I have.
This student's reflection was still in the book because he didn't finish it, so I took a picture.
I have these Folktale Sorting Cards at a word work center.

I created this worksheet to accompany the cards that you can access on Google Docs here.
Visit this website with free Power Point presentations about folktales here.

Right now, my students are working on writing their own fables. Their rough drafts were due Friday and I will be posting more about that for Workshop Wednesday tomorrow (using figurative language in writing) with my sweet friend over at Ideas by Jivey!

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE using folktales with my kiddos. I usually do a comparative study with Cinderella each year. I've accumulated about 75 versions from cultures all around the world. My student teacher will be doing this unit with my kiddos this year. I'm anxious to see her do it, but I'm mourning my loss :)

    I really like how you provide multiple activities for learning the various subgenre, especially that sort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these ideas! We do Folktales at the beginning of the year, so I will have to pin this for next year! Thanks for the linky! I get so many great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love teaching folktales and fables, but this is not my year to teach it, so I have pinned and pinned and pinned - I need to pin to multiple boards to make sure I will come across it again. Can't wait to hear about their writing (no pressure though!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't do a lot of folktales...maybe because they aren't my favorite genre. Is that bad? Maybe I will turn over a new leaf now that I could basically take what you planned here and transfer it into my own room! I like that idea! xo
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love linking up with other 4th grade teachers! We haven't gotten to folktales yet but when we do, I know where to come! Thanks for the linky and great ideas! Can't wait to try them out in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids love folktales! I do a lot of the fractured fairy tales when I teach fictional narrative writing, I like them because many of my students haven't seen these yet! Thanks for all the suggestions and resources! Great party girl!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seems like a great resource from Rachel Lynette. I will have to remember this next time I teach folk tales.

    ~April Walker
    The Idea Backpack

    ReplyDelete